CMS use by type, level and size of higher education institution
We’ve also analysed content management system use by type, level and size of institution. In the tables below, we’ve limited the number of systems we show to the top five in each category to avoid unwieldy tables.
After examining the IPEDS enrollment data we divided institutions into seven categories:
- Very Large – institutions with 20,000 or more students
- Large – institutions with between 10,000 and 20,000 students
- Medium – institutions with between 5,000 and 10,000 students
- Small – institutions with between 2,000 and 5,000 students
- Very small – institutions with 1,000 to 2,000 students
- Extra small – institutions with 500 to 1,000 students
- Tiny – institutions with fewer than 500 students
In the dual-axis chart we've plotted the percentage of the overall US student population for each size category on the left-hand axis and the proportion of the total number of institutions for each size category on the right-hand axis. In other words, Very Large schools represent 37.3% of all students attending college, but only 5.6% of all institutions.module title="US University CMS Supplier Chart 11 | Institution Size"
Chart 12 | Breakdown of US Universities and Colleges by Student Population and Number of Institutions
For this research project we compiled a list of relevant institutions from the US higher education institution data available in the NCES IPEDS database.